WHO MAKES THE DECISIONS?
The Alpha Kappa Alpha, Lambda Nu Omega, Scholarship Program is administered by the LNO Scholarship Committee. The following rules govern application for and granting of all scholarships.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible you must meet ALL of the following general eligibility requirements:
- Must be a high school senior
- Must have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4-point scale
- Must possess a commitment to learning
HOW DO I APPLY?
In order to be considered, you must follow these steps and submit an application package by March 1, 2016:
Step 1: Complete and sign the Application Form
Step 2: Write a personal statement (300 words or less)
Step 3: Submit a current academic transcript through the Fall term. An official student copy is acceptable
Step 4: Have the Scholarship Recommendation Form completed and submitted by a teacher or counselor in applicant’s high school
Note: Award winners will be photographed (for publication) during the interview, with appropriate consent.
HOW ARE DECISIONS MADE?
The AKA-LNO Scholarships are intended to encourage and support capable students with interest and potential in pursuing a college education. Information is drawn from your application, transcript, personal statement and recommendation.
Note: Finalist must participate in a brief interview, if requested.
Academic Achievement: Grades, Courses selected, Interdisciplinary skills/interests
Interest in Learning: Desire to continue to acquire knowledge through a college or university
Personal Qualities: Motivation, Social values, Maturity, Goals
Scholarship: The scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate academic merit and upstanding character
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
- Each award is a single, one-time award
- Any number of senior students from a high school may apply
- All application materials should be submitted together by the applicant
- The application and materials must be postmarked by March 1, 2016
- Send application to AKA Lambda Nu Omega, P.O. Box 8528 Waukegan, IL 60079
- Award winners will be notified by May 30, 2016